All information on this page is provisional. A French version of this page and forms is available here . Une version française de cette page et des formulaires est disponible ici
Joining or re-joining the Musique-Cordiale Festival Choir
SUMMER 2020, France
Summer Festival – Choral workshop 2020, Friday 7 – Sunday 16 August: ENROLMENT IN THE CHOIR
Apply Online now
We encourage you to use this form for online enrolment:
You can apply and pay a deposit at the same time. Or you can pay separately. Book by 12 April but see big discounts for early birds, students and others. See below and on the booking form for details and book soon – Early Bird deals apply if you are quick (and don’t forget to insure yourselves whne you book!)
or Download PDF Application Form
Download, print and return form if you prefer:
Please enrol using this form and emailing it or posting it as soon as possible. Also please return individual Part 2 forms by 12 April 2020 at the latest. You can pay by completing your card details or sending us payment – with the form or separately. See details below or on the form. and book soon.
We invite applications from accomplished singers to join (or rejoin) the 2020 Festival choir. We are emailing details to currently-registered members of the festival choir and also invite new good and experienced singers
AIMEZ-VOUS BRAHMS? Applications are OPEN NOW for new and returning members to join the 2020 Festival Choir and enjoy a 9-night stay in Provence to perform 2 concerts featuring an all-Brahms programme, including A German Requiem, to Words of the Holy Scriptures, Johannes Brahms, Op. 45 (Ein deutsches Requiem, nach Worten der heiligen Schrift) – to be sung in German with soprano & bass solo & chamber ensemble and (probably) Brahms – Liebeslieder (with piano 4 hands) plus Brahms – Geistliches Lied (double strings) PLUS, in a separate earlier concert, an exciting programme of a cappella singing AND Handel’s Dixit Dominus. (See repertoire below. The programme is not yet publicly announced and may be subject to revision). Choir participation includes 8 days of rehearsal and 3 performances under the baton of Graham Ross, Director of Music at Clare College Cambridge and in the company of fantastic soloists, with the chance to meet and share special moments with friends, old and new, in the sublime ambiance of the Pays de Fayence!
Singing with Graham Ross and the Musique Cordiale ensemble has attracted and inspired our choir members for several years. Choral concerts take place in the evening in Medieval churches. It can be hot during the days but we often rehearse in modern air-conditioned comfort and perform in lovely old acoustic buildings. Access to pools and lakes, local restaurants and the beautiful historic towns and countryside of the Var is part of the Musique Cordiale experience. We provide delicious al fresco dinners with abundant wine and try to match your accommodation to suit your preferences and budget. During your stay, you can also enjoy numerous other festival concerts – orchestral, chamber music, recitals and even a little jazz. Musique Cordiale is known for its conviviality and the high musical quality of all its performances.
(Information about singing The Messiah and ‘a cappella’ works during our long weekend in Kent in previous years is still available HERE
There will be an equivalent event in autumn 2020)
Key 2020 dates and information (full rehearsal and concert programme to be announced later)
- December 2019: initial prices and booking forms available for 2020 (see booking and payment dates below)
- Various booking & payment deadlines, Jan – March 2020 (see below & on enrolment forms)
- Monday 1 June 2020: Box office opens online for Festival concert tickets & season passes
- Saturday 1 August 2020: Festival concerts start
- Friday 7 August 2020: Choir arrival during the day. Choir accommodation & dinner options begin**
- Daily on most days: evening and/or lunchtime concerts + morning & afternoon rehearsals
- Saturday 8 August: Rehearsals start (morning)
- Wednesday 12 August, evening a cappella concert performance by the choir (see initial repertoire below) + Handel’s Dixit Dominus
- Thursday 13 August: Aimez-Vous Brahms? a first evening concert performance of this year’s major all-Brahms choral works (see repertoire below)
- Saturday 15 August: Aimez-Vous Brahms? Final Performance, the same major choral oeuvres by Brahms
- Saturday 15 August: Final dinner
- Sunday 16 August: Choir departure
How to apply to join the 2020 Festival Choir
Click the link above and complete the online enrolment form . The same page also allows you to make an initial payment
OR download the PDF application form (click right button above) to be completed by the person making the reservation with payment details.
If you are applying on behalf of several people, please complete the main form (and, later, ask each participant to complete an individual Part 2 form).
Submit your completed application forms either electronically or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to:
Musique Cordiale, Norfolk Cottage, The Street, Newnham, Sittingbourne, Kent, ME9 0LL, GB – and pay your deposit or the full amount due (payment options below).
Although we do not include travel to the Pays de Fayence in our fees, we can include you in the Eurostar/train transport we book well in advance for orchestra players. This is available on request IF YOU ARE AN EARLY BOOKER or eligible for an ‘early-bird’ discount (see below).
You can book individual meals (dinners) online in August. BUT there is a discount if you book these with any accommodation before Easter.
Good young singers who are full-time students aged 26 and under are invited to complete the enrolment form but should not send any money. We hope to have a special deal for you.
** If you want to arrive before 7 August (to listen to earlier concerts or perhaps would like to volunteer some help), please contact us. We will be providing limited accommodation and some evening meals for musicians and team from 1 August onwards)
Please contact us if you have any questions or problems or would like to talk to us before booking.
2020 Choir Repertoire*
- Oratorio: this year’s major choral work will be the Brahms Requiem, op 45 (sung in German) with soprano & bass solo & chamber ensemble
- PLUS Brahms – Liebeslieder, op 52 (with piano 4 hands) AND Brahms – Geistliches Lied (double strings)
*** Please note that the programme is not yet public information until we announce the Festival programme in the Spring***
- a 2020 selection of a cappella works to be announced (to include Rutter – 5 Birthday Madrigals for piano and jazz bass and Beethoven – Elegischer Gesang, op 118 – further suggestions appreciated!) PLUS Handel’s Dixit Dominus with string ensemble
Direction: Graham Ross
2020 Choir Booking & Payment deadlines
Please note that, this year, we will be feeling our way as Brexit happens. Because of this and related currency and location uncertainties, the booking and enrolment process is different. Choir enrolment is OPEN NOW. But, we are organising the booking process for accommodation (and any travel) a little later, operating as a kind of in-house accommodation agency, rather as we do in the Autumn for our Kent weekend. (We regret that will not be able to provide full details of travel and accommodation arrangements or prices until early February – after the first stage of Brexit. Prices for the summer and autumn events in 2019 may be an approximate guide but there will be a wider range of prices and we will consult you before we allocate accommodation). We ARE still asking for your initial commitment when you enrol. So please complete an enrolment form and make your initial payment. This involves paying now either the minimum deposit or you can pay for your choir participation, make a down-payment for accommodation (if required) and, if you wish, pay for your dinners, as previously. All payments continue to be reimbursable until the relevant application dates or puntil the payment due dates in invoices we will send you after we consult you about accommodation choices. REMEMBER to book your travel & health insurance when you enrol. Discounts apply for early booking and payment, as follows:
- 20 January 2020: Early bookers (A)**: book by & pay the minimum deposit by 20 January 2020 to get 10% off your participation fee (for anyone who pays at least the minimum deposit. Payment to be received and in a Musique Cordiale account by 22 Jan 2020 to qualify)
- 14 February 2020: Early Double discount (B1)**: book & PAY IN FULL (including an accommodation down-payment and an accommodation package) 14 February 2020 (and be assured of no later currency surcharges). Please book and send your deposit by 29 February if you will need accommodation.
- 29 February 2020: Leap day discount (B2)** – pay FULL BALANCE by 29 February 2020 (and no later currency surcharges)
- 14 March 2020: Friends only: full payment (B3): pay in full (and include deposit and an accommodation package). Friends of the Festival (only) qualify for this discount; so become a Friend first or at the same time**
- 12 April 2020 (Easter): All applications (including individual Part 2 forms for EACH participant) and deposits due by 12 April 2020 but please send them as early as possible before then (essential if your booking includes accommodation – see 29 February).
- 30 April 2019: Final balance due: All payments for participation or accommodation (including accompanying partners) due by 30 April 2020 (or, in most cases, there will be earlier due dates, per invoices that we will send a week or so after we have confirmed accommodation arrangements with you. Late bookers should pay in full as soon as you enrol: we will send an immediate invoice).
(REMINDER: Anyone paying the minimum relevant deposit by 20 January 2020 can qualify for the ‘Early booker’ discount. In addition, to qualify for one of the ‘early-bird FULL payment discounts’ – B1 or B2 or B3 – your payment must include an accommodation package. You cannot have more than one B discounts but you CAN combine discounts A & B)
membership £25 (or become a Friend from £150)
choir participation: £400 including snacks, tea, coffee
accommodation, 9 nights (deposit £250 + options range from £200 upwards per person – we will offer you options and invoice you for the agreed amount due)
dinner package, 8 nights £200 (some individual dinners with wine on some evenings £30 can be booked online later)
concert tickets (free in concerts when you are performing – and for all lunchtime concerts) for sale online from Easter and at the door
Choir participation & accommodation choices
On the application form, you will find the various participation options. We have tried our best to hold down prices (in Euros) as much as possible. But covering costs is more difficult than ever and recent currency shifts mean that the GBPound equivalents are unavoidably higher in 2020. All participants (including non-participating partners taking meals) are required to become members (unless a subscription has already been paid for 2020, i.e. since the 2019 Festival).
2020 Festival Choir: payment & booking Options
Using the buttons above or these links, please CHOOSE:
- to complete the online application form to join 2020 choir (you can pay as part of the online application process or pay separately after submitting)
- OR download and complete the PDF application forms, including card payment, HERE
- There are special prices, accommodation options & discounts for full-time students aged 26 or less and for participants from the PACA region or if you can also help as a volunteer. Please contact us for details.
- You can pay direct from either enrolment form or pay separately. Click HERE for details of HOW TO PAY